- Hearst maintains market leadership position in each of its monthly magazine competitive sectors
- Five brands record period-on-period growth and one brand is in year-on-year growth
13 February 2020: Hearst UK, the leading premium content and experience business, has announced its latest set of ABC figures for the period Jul-Dec 2019. Hearst has posted a healthy set of numbers, retaining the market leadership position in each of its monthly magazine competitive sectors, and seeing five brands in period-on-period (pop) growth and one in year-on-year (yoy) growth:
- Good Housekeeping has posted a strong performance with a combined ABC of 433,661, up 2.6% pop, and extends its position as the highest-circulating monthly women’s lifestyle magazine
- Harper’s Bazaar is up 0.1% yoy with a combined ABC of 116,400, and its UK actively purchased copies plus dynamically distributed figures are up 1.8% pop and 6.8% yoy, demonstrating the strength of the brand
- Prima is up 1.9% pop with a combined ABC of 218,944 and is the third highest-circulating monthly women’s lifestyle magazine
- Women’s Health has recorded a combined ABC of 128,239, up 1.9% pop. The brand engages its audience across a number of platforms, and launched its inaugural Women’s Health Live festival last year
- Country Living continues to be the best-selling home interest title with a combined ABC of 190,539 up 1.6% pop. Country Living was crowned Media Brand of the Year at the 2019 Media Week Awards
- House Beautiful has posted a combined ABC of 90,509 up 1.1%. The well-loved homes title is a truly modern homes brand, and has a number of highly successful brand extensions, including a collection of contemporary sofas with leading retailer DFS
ELLE has posted an ABC of 125,141 following Hearst’s recent strategic decision to enhance its luxury positioning in the market. The magazine has an improved paper stock, increased pagination and is now aimed at an even more tightly-targeted luxury audience.
Esquire, which repositioned itself as a super-luxury magazine at the start of 2019, posted an ABC of 49,765.? Esquire is now published bi-monthly with an increased cover price to attract high-net-worth readers.
James Wildman, CEO of Hearst UK, says: “Our trusted brands are beacons of positivity which have the enduring ability to uplift and inspire their highly engaged audiences. I am encouraged to see that we have once again retained market leadership positions in each of our monthly competitive sectors. To also have a number of brands increasing circulation is a fantastic achievement.
“As we continue to evolve our business across a multitude of platforms including print, digital, events and brand extensions, we are proud to have a total audience reach of 13.9m* per month.”
Full ABC results for Hearst UK are listed below.
*PAMCO 12 months to September 2019?
For more information, please contact:
Ben Bolton, Deputy Head of PR & Communications, Hearst UK
T: 020 7439 5218/07793 795919
HEARST UK MONTHLY BRANDS
Cosmopolitan: Total combined ABC of 205,363, -0.6% pop, -14.6% yoy
Country Living: Total combined ABC of 190,539, +1.6% pop, -3.2% yoy
ELLE: Total combined ABC of 125,141, -18.1% pop, -22.9% yoy
ELLE Decoration: Total combined ABC of 59,157, -14% pop, -14% yoy
Esquire: Total combined ABC of 49,765, -11.2% pop, -15.7% yoy
Good Housekeeping: Total combined ABC of 433,661, +2.6% pop, -4% yoy
Harper’s Bazaar: Total combined ABC of 116,400, -1% pop, +0.1% yoy
House Beautiful: Total combined ABC of 90,509, +1.1% pop, -8.6% yoy
Men’s Health: Total combined ABC of 120,273, -7.5% pop, -18.1% yoy
Prima: Total combined ABC of 218,944, +1.9% pop, -3.6% yoy
Red: Total combined ABC of 160,925, -8.5% pop, -9.1% yoy
Runner’s World: Total combined ABC of 60,641, 0.00% pop, -10.1% yoy
Women’s Health: Total combined ABC of 128,239, +1.9% pop, -3.9% yoy
HEARST UK WEEKLY BRANDS
Best: Total combined ABC of 101,755, -4% pop, -10.3% yoy
Inside Soap: Total combined ABC of 80,581, -7.7% pop, -14.9% yoy
Real People: Total combined ABC of 98,699, -0.1% pop, -11.8% yoy
HEARST CONTENT AGENCY
Asda Good Living: Total combined ABC of 1,787,333, -4.9% pop, -9.3% yoy
About Hearst UK
Hearst UK publishes 26 brands including Esquire, ELLE, Harper’s Bazaar, Cosmopolitan and Good Housekeeping. Our print and digital brands reach over one in three UK women and one in four UK men every month, and our trusted content engages them wherever they are. We sell over four million magazines a month, we reach 20+ million UK digital unique users and we have more than 79 million likes and follows through via our social media platforms.
Hearst UK’s events division – Hearst Live – connects with over a million people a year through events such as Country Living Fairs, Esquire Townhouse and Red Smart Women Week. Our licensed brand extensions include Country Living sofas and hotels, Esquire apparel and accessories and Men’s Health?home?gym?equipment. We also have a growing operation offering accreditation through the state-of-the-art testing facility at the Good Housekeeping Institute.