Hearst UK Environmental Policy Statement
Hearst UK is the leading publisher of print and digital magazine brands, engaging over 16m people every month and reaching over 20 million fans and followers through our social media platforms.? We are aware that this places us in a highly responsible position regarding the delivery and promotion of positive environmental performance and we take this very seriously.?
Our mission is to maintain our position as an environmental leader within our business sector by upholding an Environmental Management System (EMS) in accordance with the requirements of the International Environmental Management Standard ISO 14001:2015. This ensures we effectively evaluate our significant environmental impacts and opportunities, demonstrate conformity with applicable compliance obligations and measurably work towards our stated environmental objectives.?
Implementing an EMS means that a sustainable way of working is integrated into our organisation throughout all levels and functions. Through consistent communications with the business, all Hearst UK employees should be aware of their individual responsibilities in ensuring our EMS is complied with and contributed to.
Through a robust materiality assessment and a review of our interested party requirements, we have developed a number of objectives, targets and plans that are measured and monitored regularly to ensure we achieve continual improvement in line with our strategic direction when it comes to environmental matters.
Our objectives include plans to:
- Protect the environment and preventing pollution through reducing greenhouse gas emissions associated with energy consumption and air travel
- Consider lifecycle impacts and create a positive sustainability impact by sourcing sustainable materials, reducing paper use, preventing waste and increasing recycling
- Work collaboratively with contractors, advertisers and the Professional Publishers Association to address key issues, such as use of plastic packaging, and implement the best sustainable solution
- Engage with our readership as to how we can all make a contribution to a better environment
- Embrace a wider sustainability perspective by developing and implementing social initiatives
- Develop communications that enhance staff engagement and generate behavioral change